May 29, 2015

28
May

May 29, 2015

Food Tracking

Among the athletes I am working with on their diets, most are tracking their food intake. Eating the right foods is great, adding precision by weighing, measuring and tracking is even better. It’s a sure way to troubleshoot, know if you are getting what you need, etc.

Say someone is eating well, but they report that they often feel tired. If I look at a food log that’s simply a list of foods, I can take a guess on why they have low energy. But, if I see that they are only eating 100 grams of carbs day, I can give them a definitive direction. Same goes with someone not losing or gaining weight, etc.

There are a few calculators out there that help you to determine your needs. Here are two good ones:

http://staging.eattoperform.com/eat-to-perform-calculator/

http://healthyeater.com/flexible-dieting-calculator

Once you determine the level of fats, carbs and protein you need daily in order to reach a goal, you weigh and measure your foods and enter them into an app. I recommend My Fitness Pal, which is free. One warning: use the app as a tracking tool only. Don’t use My Fitness Pal’s recommendations. And focus on your totals each macro (carbs, protein, fat), not counting calories.

When you first begin to track, I recommend planning out your day of eating the night before. That way you meet your goals and aren’t caught short before bed or go over by lunch! HIT YOUR MACROS – not over and not under.

Another warning: you will see lots of people online claiming they can eat junk and still meet their macros, have abs, etc. Sorry, but 150 grams of carbs that come from jelly beans is not the same 150 grams of carbs that come from sweet potatoes. You still need to eat good, high-quality, nutrient-dense foods 90% of the time. The other 10% can be the “fun” foods and drinks, but you still log them and then alter your eating the remainder of the day so that you still hit those totals.

Calculate your daily needs, track for a month, note any changes. Adjust if necessary. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you need some guidance.

If you’re looking for a change, this is a great place to start!

11109499_10153244836125090_1635101447212659206_n

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUE & CHRISTINA!

Workout of the Day
:00
Barbell warm-up/drills

:15
Every two minutes for 14 minutes/7 sets:
3 Hang Power Snatch + 2 Overhead Squats
– 50-60%

:30
3 x 12 Chest-to-bar pull-ups
– rest 2 minutes between sets

:40
3×5 Zombie Squats (no lifting shoes)

:50
2k Meter Row

Post your scores to the Whiteboard.

1 Response