The Benefits of Weightlifting
I can say with confidence that many of you
really love the Olympic lifts. However, we do notice that some of you skip these workouts. Maybe the lifts still feel foreign? Maybe you don’t realize the full benefits of the lifts? Olympic weightlifters are some of the most gifted athletes – fast, flexible, powerful – and there are numerous benefits to practicing the snatch, clean and jerk.
- Olympic lifting teaches you to apply large amounts of force (i.e. activate muscle fibers rapidly). This is not only advantageous to athletes in power and field sports, but is also beneficial to those who tend to practice the slower-twitch muscle activities like long-distance running.
- Because every muscle of the body is used in Olympic Weightlifting, there are cardiovascular benefits.
- Again, because you use every muscle, you can see improved body composition.
- Lifting is safe. There are very few injuries/overuse injuries in the
sport, especially compared to things like running.
- Lifting improves your flexibility.
So, next time you want to skip out on the lifts, think about the long-term benefits. They may feel awkward at first, but practice will make you more comfortable and you will soon feel
and see the benefits. Very few facilities in town have coaches who can properly teach the lifts, so take advantage of being here!
More reading: http://www.owresource.com/lifts/benefits.php
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARLA!
Workout of the Day
Every 2 minutes for 10minutes/5 sets:
6 Power Snatch
5×5 Push Press
Light to moderate, technical load
3 x 1:00 handstand hold (back facing wall)
rest as needed
4 sets of: 20 calories on Skierg
rest as needed between sets
Post your scores to.