Gear for CrossFit
Post by Liz
“95% of members who purchase a pair of crossfit nanos within the first month end up being members for life.”
This statistic from drinkthekoolaid.com is fake. I made it up. However, I often joke around with new members and tell them that once they buy their first pair of shoes I know they’ve drinking the crossfit kool-aid and are hooked.
Both new and old members are often curious about equipment and what to buy. So, I’ve created a list that includes our recommended brands. Just in time for the holidays! 😉
1. Crossfit shoe- Your first purchase will probably be a good crossfit shoe. These shoes are uniquely designed for crossfit style workouts. They are better for lifting, have grip for rope climbs, and are minimally designed for natural movement (i.e. no big clunky heels). The top two that I would recommend are:
- Reebok Crossfit Nano: There have been 5 versions released. Out of the ones currently available, I prefer the 4s or the 5s but not the 3s due to their inflexibility.
- Nike Metcon: I don’t not have a pair but, I know many people who love them.
2. Jump rope- Particularly once you start to learn double-unders, you’ll want your own jump rope. Feedback from the rope helps you establish a rhythm. Top brands many people have are:
- HumanX competition x4 speed rope
- RPM speed rope 2.0
3. Knee sleeves- Once you go blue you’ll never go back. Many people have discovered the comfort of using knee sleeves while squatting. They are one of my favorite pieces of equipment and are well worth the investment.
- Rehband 7051
4. Weightlifting shoes- These shoes are designed for the sport of weightlifting. So, if you are looking to improve in this area of your training, they are a great investment.
- Nike Romaleos 2
5. Gymnastic grips- During high volume workouts grips provide protection for your hands. There are many kinds available and you kind of have to find what works best for you. Recommended brands:
- Againfaster grips
The five pieces of equipment listed above are definitely the most commonly purchased but, the most valuable is of course the crossfit wardrobe. After finishing fundamentals with me Sal went out and purchased the crossfit starter pack…this is the pic her sent me…I think he nailed it.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY NANCY MCCLAIN & STEPH PATON!
Workout of the Day
:05 (heats of 7, stagger start)
1000 m – ski erg
30 burpees to a target
1000 m row
25 burpees to a target
60 calories – air bike
20 burpees to a target
1000 m run
500 m – ski erg
500 m row
20 calories – air bike
500 m run
Post your scores to.